5 Things bed.
by Walter Price
Portland’s indie rock duo + 1 bed. (Alex, Sierra and Andrew) have a lot of early 90’s prestige working in their favor. This mixed with cerebral stories in a small but stellar catalogue of singles which finds the band producing songs just waiting for Peter Sollett to put camera to.
The surprise but no surprise with this band, stories/lyrics aside, is the work between vocalists. There is endearing and severe attractiveness in their tones and direction. Drawing you into these low-fi or should I say “slow-fi” vignettes.
Artsy but not grating, cool, warm and what late night drives and mixtapes are made of. The band’s self impossed mystery is trying but worth the hassel. Here are 5 Things with bed.:
What are 5 things the outside world gets wrong about the Portland music scene.
We don’t know. We don’t go out at night.
5 things no one knows about bed.
- We wear the same size jeans.
- Our band car’s name is Sleepymaus.
- We don’t eat animals.
- There’s a painting of Walter Matthau displayed prominently in our living room.
- Sierra and Alex got each other’s names tattooed on their wrists after less than a month of dating.
cinco reasons why only singles.
- Nobody hears our crappy B material.
- We can take our time recording.
- People listen.
- We can release new stuff more frequently.
- We always have fresh material, rather than living with an album all year until the next one comes out.
5 things “Bother”
- Home recorded.
- Backwards sample of an old man yelling “Attention!”
- One of our favorites to play live.
- Not the first song we wrote.
- Family ties.
fünf things “Boys”
- Stacks of burned CDs in jewel cases with homemade inserts from Alex’s Teenage Years found in a box at his parent’s home in Tampa.
- An original MTV T-shirt from the 80’s that’s worn so thin you can see through it.
- A complete Belle and Sebastian vinyl collection.
- Looking like a teenager into your 30’s.
- The stunting idea of becoming a famous musician. Bad for music. Bad for musicians.
5 things “Wayward”
- When you receive attention.
- When you feel entitled to attention.
- When you become addicted to attention.
- Desperation when you lose attention.
- Delusion. Delusion. Delusion. Delusion. Delusion.
cinq things the fresh one “Fremm”
- First single recorded with our drummer Andrew. Alex played drums on the other tracks.
- Initially titled “Friend”.
- It’s not about European multipurpose frigates.
- We drive a 1981 Mercedes 300D.
- We moved to Eugene, Oregon for six weeks last year and didn’t tell anybody.
五 Portland artists the world should check out
bed. facebook / website / breakup records
SUPPORT GREAT ARTISTS & BUY MUSIC